Thousands of workers are injured or killed on construction sites every year. Falls, head injuries, crushed limbs, lung damage, slips, trips and electrocution are just some of the common accidents that happen all too frequently. But these accidents do not have to happen as often as they do.
Staying safe on the job is a priority for all workers. But when you are on a construction site this priority is an integral concern for the daily wellbeing of those on the job. By taking safety precautions you can prevent accidents and help make the unavoidable accidents less severe.
Ten Safety Tips for Construction Sites
- Wear your gear! Always have on your protective gear, such as helmets and sturdy shoes.
- Do not walk on or lean against glass.
- Do not set objects on ledges or anywhere else they call easily fall off of.
- Lift heavy objects properly and with care.
- Keep paths clear and always scout out your path before carrying heavy or large objects.
- Only use tools and machinery you are trained to use or have experience using.
- Use all tools and machinery properly.
- Beware of exposed wires and other electrical dangers.
- Wear a protective mask when being exposed to toxic fumes or large amounts of dust.
- Know what you are working with. If you are going to be exposed to asbestos or lead paint use extra caution.
What to do if there is an Accident on a Construction Site
If you have seen unsafe practices or some unsafe equipment you should immediately inform your supervisor. If someone is hurt while on a construction site you can take the following actions:
- If they are unconscious immediately call 911 and seek medical assistance.
- If they are conscious ask them to locate and describe the pain. No matter the severity it is important to seek medical attention. Some injuries are more severe under the surface than above, such as electrical burns or concussions.
- Report any accident that occurs so measures can be taken to prevent such an accident from ever occurring again.
Safety CSM is a provider of Safe Pass Training. So if you or your employees or contractors require a Safe Pass card then contact us for our training schedule and class prices.