The importance of safety at workplace must be understood by every active organization. Although safety guidelines differ from one sector to another, we have presented you the common topics can be taken care of.
Maintaining safety at workplace is the concern of an organization. Whether it’s a hazardous occupation or a normal office job, a company must be dedicated towards implementing stringent safety norms at workplace. Jobs like mining, electrical works, architectural constructions, etc involve life-threatening risks. Therefore specific guidelines must be set for ensuring safety of workers. Safety standards are determined by the company prior to recruiting employees for eliminating any inconvenience that might be caused at workplace. It’s also the responsibility of workers and employees to know the predetermined guidelines and follow them accordingly. We have explained the most important safety topics at workplace over here.
Safety Topics for Workplace
Work related safety is an important issue that must be discussed in meetings, where effective participation of employees must take place. They should be made aware of the safety symbols and the correct techniques of operating the safety gadgets installed at their office.
Safety rules mostly depend upon the work environment and possibilities of accidents. For example, if your work involves exposure to heat, then there should be an arrangement for sufficient water. You need to be cautious of your health while doing field work under the sun. In such circumstances, there should be ample refreshment options within the working zone itself. Hygiene inside hospitals and health clinics is utmost essential to prevent spread of diseases. The premises should be decontaminated so that no hassles are created in recovery of patients. Apart from this, practice of safe operative techniques are ensured and employees are provided necessary protection against infectious diseases. Most importantly, fire extinguishers must be installed in every organization to combat sudden outbreak of fire.
Nuclear power stations, factories, mines and similar sectors must conduct training sessions for employees who are actively engaged into hazardous activities. They should be trained in coping with emergency situations like outbreak of fire, landslide, mine subsidence, chemical and radiation leakage, etc. Statutory guidelines enforced by Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) should be studied by all employees to ensure personal safety.
Safety topics also deal with protection of an individual’s rights and physical security. The management should be prompt enough to take necessary action against sexual harassment and physical molestation. Safety of women inside office premises should be taken primarily into consideration. Protection should be given to the lower working class who are often compelled to perform illegal acts. Here we list down the safety topics at work.
- Safety from fire.
- Safety at construction sites.
- Safety from poisonous gases like ammonia, nitrogen, carbon monoxide, etc.
- Protection from chemical leakage.
- Safety while using cold storage.
- Protection against contagious diseases like swine flu, tuberculosis, influenza, etc.
- Safety while using cooking gas at restaurants, canteens and cafeterias.
- Safety against latex, asbestos, lead and dye allergies.
- Safety inside elevator and while working with it.
- Wearing life jackets whenever required.
- Radiation (ultraviolet and radioactive elements) safety. Use of protective masks, jackets and head gears.
- Safe handling of disposable materials.
- Safe handling of electrical gadgets.
- Safety while woodworking.
- Safety from bio-hazards and toxic subs
- Prevention of breathing hazards.
- Ensuring safety inside laboratories.
- Safe handling of sharp tools and other machines.
- Careful handling of pesticides, fertilizers and agricultural manures.
- Safety while roofing and other types of masonry.
- Ensuring the workplace is ergonomically feasible.
- Safety while using or repairing escalators.
- Cautious handling of grilling and welding machines.
- Driving safety for cargo transporters and bike messengers.
- Arrangement for immediate supply of first aid to victims.
Now that you know the importance of safety at workplace, you must keep yourself updated with the norms. Above all, it is your responsibility to ensure your own personal safety. All you can do is go through the guidelines thoroughly and follow them judiciously to avoid mishaps as much as possible.