So You Want To Know What Is Safe Pass and Safety Pass Training?
Safe Pass is a safety awareness training programme for construction workers. It is a one-day programme to enable them to work on construction sites without being a risk to themselves or others. Employers are required by law to ensure that employees on construction sites carry Safe Pass cards. As a result, employers must ensure that all employees are properly trained.
The Safe Pass programme is operated and managed by SOLAS and aims to:
- Raise the standard of safety awareness in the construction industry
- Ensure that all construction site workers undergo basic health and safety awareness training with the view to making a positive contribution to the prevention of accidents and avoidance of health hazards
- Maintain a register of construction site and local authority workers who have received such health and safety training
- Provide all Safe Pass participants with a Safe Pass registration card that will indicate that the holders have attended a formal course in health and safety awareness
All workers in the construction sector, including apprentices, trainees and on-site security workers, must have received safety awareness training and have a Safe Pass registration card before they can work on construction sites.
Every contractor (or other person working on their behalf) is required by law to ensure that everyone under their direct control on a construction site has received Safe Pass training and has been issued with a current Safe Pass registration card. Under health and safety legislation, employers are required to allow their employees paid time off from work to attend safety awareness training.
There are FAQs about the Safe Pass programme on the Health and Safety Authority website.
Safe Pass registration cards
You will be issued with a Safe Pass registration card once you successfully complete the one-day Safe Pass training programme. This card lasts for 4 years from the date of the training course. If you later leave the workplace, you can still keep your registration card, provided it is in date. When it expires, you must then attend a further Safe Pass training course.
Content of the Safe Pass programme
The training modules in the Safe Pass programme are:
- Promoting a safety culture
- Duties and responsibilities at work
- Accident reporting and prevention
- Risk Assessment
- Working at heights
- Excavations and confined spaces
- Working with electricity, underground and overhead services
- Use of hand held equipment and tools
- Safe use of vehicles
- Personal protective equipment
- Noise and vibrations
- Manual handling
- Health and hygiene